GWINN, MICHIGAN 49841
BOARD MEETING SUMMARY
JANUARY 17, 2011
Elected Board Officers for 2011 are as follows: President – Walter Maki; Vice President – Ronald Libey; Secretary – Gloria Bigelow; Treasurer – Michelle Dolby
January has been designated as “School Board Member Recognition Month”. Acknowledgement and recognition goes out to the following Board of Education members for their dedication and commitment to education and their efforts on behalf of children: Walter Maki; Ronald Libey; Gloria Bigelow; Michelle Dolby; Ruth Spade; Julie Shaw; and Cynthia Filizetti.
Congratulations to the following Gwinn Middle School students who were named “Students of the Month” for January: Ms. Chandler Jones – 7th grade; Mr. Zack Kevern – 7th grade; Mr. Ben Barnhart – 8th grade; Ms. Samantha Bell – 8th grade.
Congratulations to Ms. Josie Hedglen, Gwinn High School’s “Student of the Month” for January.
Claims in the amount of $839,766 were approved for payment.
Gilbert Elementary School
· Congratulations to our Students of the Month: Dylan Derouin & Ashley Scott (Kdg.); Shanna LaRock & Shafaar Evans (1st); Mastin Love & James Larson (2nd); Hallie Roos & Marissa Delmont (3rd); Sydney St.Clair & Savannah Duvall (4th); Ethan Rockwell & Ben Borrett (5th); Katrina Turecky & Danielle Wiertella (6th).
· We have our district spelling bee coming up on Tuesday, February 1st at Sawyer Elementary School. Our 5th and 6th graders are studying their word lists and we wish them all luck!
KI Sawyer Elementary School
· K.I. Sawyer families are attending the home basketball game on Thursday, January 20th.
· Congratulations to our Students of the Month: Hunter Chenail, Dalton Millard & Elladiss Fuge (Kdg.); Noi Buyea & Ashley Sterba (1st); Wyatt Iery, Jacob Harnick & Ryan Tanner (2nd); Hannah Myers & Morris Barnes (3rd); Tucker Gardner & Trish McGuire (4th); Emily Markle & Brittany Rzanca (5th); Chase Augustson & Jared Olivier (6th).
· Each week, a Student of the Week is selected by the teacher assigned to morning announcements for that week. Recent Students of the Week were: Arianna Collins (Mrs. Sheltrow’s class), Seth Sapikowski (Mrs. Anderson’s class), Athina Johnson (Mrs. Wommer’s class), Taylor Shelafoe (Mrs. Toutant’s class).
· We will celebrate our school success for the second quarter this Thursday at our R.O.A.R.S. Assembly. We have a total of 251 students who have not had a discipline referral so far this year!
· Our building spelling bee was held on January 17th. Those moving on to the District Spelling Bee for 5th grade include: Bill Gilmore (1st place), Brooklyn Bowling (2nd place), Cassidy Johnson (3rd place), Claire Hohman (4th place), and Bethany Woodruff (alternate); 6th grade winners include: Lacie Stanton (1st place), Samantha Koski (2nd place), Mikayla Miilu (3rd place), Sierra Webber (4th place), Erin Barnes (alternate). The GACS District Spelling Bee will be held at K.I. Sawyer Elementary on February 1st at 9:30 a.m.
· Coach Bill Hill and musician Corrine Rockow will be helping us recognize Social Awareness Week on January 19th, at 6:00 p.m. Chelsea Kallery, District Community Resource Center, has coordinated this event. Everyone is invited to attend.
Gwinn Middle School
· GMS students Spread the Cheer at Gilbert, Sawyer and the Senior Center on the last day before holiday break, making ornaments, playing games and enjoying getting to know the young and old. Thank you to all the elementary teachers who allowed us to come in and work with your students, and thanks to the Senior Center for your hospitality as well!
· The Spelling Bee will be getting underway with building level competitions in English class on the 13th. The district Spelling Bee will be February 3, which will include students from Wells Township.
· Towner Time classes have been learning about Cyberbullying on Tuesdays and Wednesdays this month. Information and clips viewed in class have been posted on our Be the Change class on Moodle.
· Semester exams will be January 18th and 19th.
· Recent CAUGHT DOING SOMETHING GOOD winners were: Megan Kirkwood, Mackenzie Hollands, Justice Guidebeck and Jeff Daher.
Gwinn High School
· Congratulations to Dominique DePas, clarinet player in the GHS Band and Jazz Band, who has been accepted into the Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp International Exchange Program Concert Band. She will tour northern Europe with the band in the summer of 2011. Dominque was chosen based on her performance and dedication at Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp in the summer of 2010.
· The GHS JV & Varsity Cheerleaders assembled & distributed food baskets & gifts with the St. Vincent DePaul Society on Thursday, Dec 16, 2010.
· The GHS JV & Varsity Cheerleaders performed at the 24th Annual Rico N. Zenti Special Olympics Opening Ceremony and then helped the Olympians compete in their events on Saturday, January 15, 2011 at the Superior Dome in Marquette. A great time was had by all.
· Homecoming activities will take place during the week of January 31st. The dance will be held on Thursday, February 3rd following the boy’s basketball game versus Negaunee.
Superintendent Maino gave a brief update on various topics including: the state mandated teacher evaluation process; the recent Revenue Consensus Hearing held last week and its projections for school funding for 2011-12; Excellence in Education Week; Challenge Day activities to be held at GMS/GHS in March; the recent Gwinn All Sports Booster Club basketball tournament fundraiser; and the District’s involvement in the upcoming UP 200 “Midnight Run” and “Jack Pine 30” sled dog races.
The Board took action on the following:
· Board Meetings for the coming year will be held at 6:30 p.m. on the 3rd Monday of each month in the Gwinn High School Library.
· Cindy Filizetti was appointed to serve as the Board’s representative to the Marquette-Alger Regional Educational Service Agency.
· Gloria Bigelow was appointed to serve as the Board’s representative to the Marquette-Alger Association of School Board Members.
· Approved financial depositories in which district funds will be placed.
· Designated those authorized to sign checks, sign contracts and agreements, use the safety deposit box, use District credit cards, and authorize student suspensions.
· Authorized the Superintendent to seek out internal candidates who may be interested in the Superintendent’s position when Mr. Maino retires.
· Scheduled a special Board financial work session for Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 6:30 p.m.
· Changed the 2011 Junior Prom date to Saturday, May 14, 2011.
· Accepted the resignation of the following personnel:
1. Darren Smith – Cross Country Coach, Gwinn High School, effective date of resignation – January 1, 2011
· Accepted, with great appreciation, the following gifts/donations:
1. Hi-Tec Building Services – $300 donated to the GMS “Be the Change” program